Sunday, July 26, 2026

Shōgun 1.04

The Eightfold Fence

The ship carrying Blackthorne, Toranaga, and the others arrives in Anjiro, the same town where Blackthrone was brought when his ship arrived in Japan. Yabushige's forces give Toranaga a great welcome but Toranaga doesn't stay for very long. He orders that Hatamoto (Blackthorne) be given a house in the town.

Fuji, whose husband was ordered to kill himself in the first episode, is given to Hatamoto. Mariko also stays in his house. Blackthorne does not sleep with either woman. He asks and learns that the other men on the Erasmus, ship which brought him to Japan, which is still off the coast of Anjiro, were taken to Edo.

It takes some time but Blackthorne's relationship with Fuji warms over time. He apologizes for his behavior and gives her one of his pistols. She gives him her deceased father's swords. He works on learning Japanese.

Blackthorne teaches Yabushige's men about cannons. He demonstrates how accurate English cannons can be. They receive a visit from Nebara Jozen, on of Lord Ishida's men. Yabushige's presence is requested in Osaka. Yabushige suggests that Jozen stay the night and the next day Hatamoto will provide a demonstration of the cannons. Jozen agrees.

That night Mariko and Fuji send a courtesan to Hatamoto's room. He thinks at first that it was one of them until they tell him the next morning. 

Nagakado, Toranaga's son, chafes at being left behind. Lacking his father's patience and feeling as though he isn't taken seriously he launches an attack on Jozen at the time of the scheduled cannon demonstration. The representative from Ishido and his men are killed while Yabushige protests. 

Thoughts

Yabushige seems to be more than ready to break from Toranaga but circumstances keep conspiring to keep him close the the former regent.

Okay, the story continues to develop. It still feels like this series is the abbreviated version of the full story. I think I will need to read the book if I want the full story. I'm not convinced that even it will satisfy me.

My opinion of this show remains unchanged. It is good but not great. I want to watch it all. I'm not convinced that my opinion of it will improve.

...

I have started to read the book. I'm only one chapter in. I think I am going to put watching the show on hold. It's a long book, over 1200 pages. I'm not going to finish it quickly. It may be months or more before I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment