Friday, July 17, 2026

Pearl (2022)

Pearl (2022)

starring Mia Goth, David Corenswet
written by Ti West, Mia Goth
directed by Ti West

102 minutes

Pearl (Mia Goth) lives on a farm with her parents while her husband is in Europe fighting in the First World War. Her father is an invalid. Her mother, a german immigrant, is very strict. Pearl feels trapped. She meets a projectionist (David Corenswet) at the movie theater in town. He encourages her. She has a brief fling with him.

Pearl's mother eventually pushes a little too hard on her daughter. Pearl's life begins to unravel. Pearl turns homicidal. The movie ends with Pearl welcoming home her husband Howard.

Thoughts

This is the second movie in a trilogy. I saw the first film, X (2022), a couple years ago. The director and the lead actor are the same but other than that the cast is different. I believe they shot both films in the same place one after the other.

This is good. I like it but I think I like it a little less than X (2022). I don't know if it built the tension quite as well as in the first film. There is one scene which lasts about six minutes in which Mia Goth delivers a monologue without any cuts. It was very memorable. There's also a scene in the first half of the film where it looked like she was going to kill her father, by feeding him to an alligator. That was also very memorable.

There are only five characters who have more than a few scenes. One of them, Pearl's father, doesn't have any lines.

This is the second film in which I have seen Mia Goth. David Corenswet is the only other actor in this film that I recognized or have seen in anything else. I saw him in Superman (2025).

No comments:

Post a Comment