Monday, July 27, 2026

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

The Asphalt Jungle (1950)

starring Sterling Hayden, Louis Calhern, Jean Hagen, Sam Jaffe 
written by W. R. Burnett, John Huston, Ben Maddow
directed by John Huston

113 minutes

A ragtag bunch of men hired by Alonzo Emmerich (Louis Calhern) and led by Doc Reidenschneider (Sam Jaffe), break into a bank and steal millions of dollars in jewels. One of them gets mortally wounded during the robbery. Redenschneider and the others, which includes Dix Handley (Sterling Hayden), find themselves in trouble when they discover that Emmerich doesn't have the money he promised them. Things fall apart fairly quickly as the police begin to pick up the pieces of the puzzle. Handley goes on the run with his gal, Doll Conovan (Jean Hagen), and manages to stay ahead of the long arm of the law but eventually succumbs to a wound received after the heist.

Thoughts

This is not one of those films where the heist itself consumes most of the movie. The lead up to the heist and the aftermath of the heist get a fair amount of screen time.

I had seen this movie before but it was decades since I last saw it. It lived up to my memory of it. It isn't perfect but I like the performances by the lead and supporting actors. Without the performances this would not be anywhere near as good a film as it is.

Notes

I've seen Sterling Hayden in at least five films, including The Killing (1956). I've seen Louis Calhern in at least five films including Okay, America! (1932). I've seen Jean Hagen in just one other film. She was also in one episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I've seen Sam Jaffe in at least six films including Battle Beyond the Stars (1980). He appeared in two episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955) and one episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. There were a few other actors in this film that I recognized including James Whitmore and Marilyn Monroe. 

The story was adapted from a novel written W. R. Burnett. The only other thing I have seen that he had a hand in writing was High Sierra (1941). The screen play was written by Ben Maddow and John Huston. This is the only movie I have seen that Maddow had a hand in writing. This is at least the ninth film that John Huston had a hand in writing that I have seen.

This is at least the seventh film that I have watched that was directed by John Huston.

No comments:

Post a Comment