Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Good Time (2017)

starring Robert Pattinson
directed by Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie

Connie and Nick, his mentally challenged brother, hold up a bank. They don't get away with it. Nick gets caught. Connie tries hitting up his girlfriend (Jennifer Jason Leigh) for some money to get Nick out on bail. Nick gets into a fight while he is in jail and beat up badly. He is taken to a hospital. Connie tries to break him out of the hospital with disastrous results. It just gets crazier from there.

Notes

Craig muMs Grant has a small role as the driver of a bus. I recognized him but I couldn't remember what I had seen him in before. The answer is (1) Oz, and (2) Horace and Pete. I watched Oz a long time ago, probably over 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure I didn't stick with Oz beyond the 2nd season. Horace and Pete I watched a little more recently but still it was more that 3 years ago and I don't think he had as big a role in that series as he did in Oz.

Thoughts

This is one crazy ride. I didn't go into as much detail as I could for fear of giving too much away. Connie keeps trying things in the hopes that things will get better. They don't. The music and the way the movie is shot both really help to set the tone of the story and keep it throughout.

Is Connie a good person? Probably not. He seems to have good intentions but he makes some really questionable choices. Bringing his brother into his bank robbing scheme is just the tip of the iceberg.

This probably isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm glad I chose to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment