Tuesday, August 18, 2020

She's Gotta Have It 1.01

#DaJumpoff (DOCTRINE)

This episode feels like a remake of She's Gotta Have It (1986). I like a number of Spike Lee's movies but I don't love that one. I don't hate it. It just doesn't speak to me the way that some of his other films do.

Nola Darling, an artist, juggles relationships which (she says) are just about the sex, with three men: Jamie Overstreet, Mars Blackmon, and Greer Childs. They are each distinctly different but they all seem to want her to themselves. 

There are a couple of scenes that I don't recall from the movie. One was the scene where she met with Clorinda Bradford, her former roommate, and a couple other friends for drinks. The other one was the scene where she was assaulted while walking home at night, near the end of the episode.

The original was (mostly) in black and white. This show is in color. There are some visual and musical nods to the movie, especially in the opening credits.

I'm curious to see where the show goes from here. The visuals and the music are great but the story and characters have yet to reel me in. The mention of Rashomon intrigues me but I have no idea if it is significant. I will probably watch another episode or two and see if I feel any stronger about it then than I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment