Friday, September 24, 2021

Booksmart (2019)

starring Beanie Feldstein, Kaitlyn Dever, Jessica Williams, Jason Sudeikis 
directed by Olivia Wilde
1 hr 43 min

Molly (Feldstein) and Amy (Dever) are about to graduate from high school. It is the day before graduation. They've spent all their time studying so that they can get into top schools only to discover that the people who partied and had fun are also getting into the top schools. Molly decides that they have to make up for it by going to the party that one of their classmates is throwing.

They realize that they don't know where the party is happening. They call one guy who takes them to the party he is throwing. He agrees to pick them up but they quickly realize that no one else is at his party. They get what they think is the right place only to discover that once again it is the wrong party. They finally get to the right party but things don't go exactly according to plan.

Thoughts

The first hour or so of this movie is crazy nuts. I laughed quite a few times at a number of things. Things get a little more serious and sober while they are at the third party. There is still some silliness after that part and there are still some laughs but the pace of the jokes slows down considerably after that point.

There are parts of this movie that feel like a fever dream. Weird things happen without a lot of explanation. They usually made me laugh. I didn't follow everything that was happening but I was okay with that I got enough of it to enjoy it.

I'm always kind of amused by the notion that people have figured out what they want to do next after high school. That was not my experience. I didn't even have a clue.

This was a lot of fun to watch. It flows very smoothly and kept my interest from beginning to end. It belongs on a list of movies about high school that I think are worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment