Saturday, September 4, 2021

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 1.02

Ya Shivu v Bolsham Dome Na Khlome

The breaking of the fast gets canceled at Midge and Joel's place. Rose, calls everyone and tells them that they have come down with the flu. Midge starts to worry that her looks are changing because she is now separated.

Joel goes to see his father, Moishe Maisel, who owns a clothing business. Rose goes to see a psychic who promises that everything is going to be all right. Susie comes to see Midge but Midge can't believe that she flashed the crowd the night before and has changed her mind about performing on stage. 

Shirley, Joel's mother, calls Rose. A dinner is planned for the next night for everyone (Midge and Joel, Abe and Rose, Moishe and Shirley) at Midge and Joel's place. Joel finds out that his father has contacted Joel's uncle, who is also Joel's boss, and had his secretary reassigned to another department. Joel goes to his father but Moishe won't budge.

The dinner happens. Things get explosive. Midge finds out that their apartment is paid for by her father-in-law. She winds up walking out and heads back to the coffee house where she got arrested a couple nights before. She goes on stage. She isn't drunk this time. She airs some of her grievances and get some laughs but then the cops walk in and she gets arrested for using obscene language.

Thoughts

There were a few laughs in this episode, for me but I think I smiled considerably more than I laughed. Once again I wasn't terribly impressed with the on stage humor. I think that this show might appeal to people with more refined tastes than mine. I just have a hard time taking it seriously. There's stuff in this show that I like but on the whole I don't think there's enough here for me. I'm going to stick with it for at least another episode or two before I decide whether I want to watch the rest of the season or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment