Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Cobra Kai 1.01

Ace Degenerate

Johnny Lawrence's life isn't going great. His job sucks. He sees reminders all around town of his big loss to Daniel LaRusso in the All-Valley Karate Tournament, when they were in high school. LaRusso owns a successful car dealership and his face is on billboards all around town.

Johnny gets arrested for helping his teenage neighbor fight off a bunch of bullies. His car gets hit by a group of teenage girls. His car is taken to LaRusso's body shop for repairs. Johnny runs into Danny when he goes to pick it up. Danny is delighted to see him but the feeling is not mutual.

The episode ends with Johnny deciding to use a check he received from his step-father to open a karate school.

Thoughts

I saw the original Karate Kid movie when it first came out, with one of my brothers, as I recall. I think we had just returned from a long family vacation and just wanted to get away from our parents. I enjoyed it. I've probably seen a few times since then but I'm pretty sure it has been over 25 years since I last saw it.

I wasn't blown away by this episode. It isn't great television. It felt very slowly paced. I didn't find either Johnny or Danny to be sympathetic characters. I don't want to root for either one of them. There weren't any good character moments. It felt longer than it actually was. There just wasn't enough here to justify spending a whole episode getting to this point. I'm going to watch a few more. Sometimes the first episode isn't very good but I'm not sure I will watch the entire season.

No comments:

Post a Comment