Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)

The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)

starring Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke, Daryl Hannah
directed by Stuart Rosenberg

Charlie (Mickey Rourke) and Paulie (Eric Roberts) are cousins. Paulie is a hot head. He has a tendency to do things without thinking through the consequences. Charlie is more level headed. He has trouble keeping Paulie from doing stupid things.

Charlie and Paulie pull a heist after they get fired from their jobs working at a restaurant run by the mob. The heist is Paulie's idea. Charlie has his doubts but ultimately decides to go ahead with it. They team up with Barney, a clock repairman who specializes in breaking into safes, to get the job done. The heist does not go off with out a hitch. Things go very wrong.

Thoughts

Daryl Hannah isn't given much to do in this movie. She plays Charlie's girlfriend. She is not in on the heist. 

Burt Young plays Bed Bug Eddie, the mobster who owns the restaurant where Charlie and Paulie are working when the movie begins. I know him best from the Rocky films in which he played Paulie, Rocky's brother-in-law but I've also seen him in a lot of other movies.

I've had this movie on my list of movies to watch for quite some time. It was available on Prime so I decided to give it a try. I found it to be strangely compelling. I liked the central performances by Roberts and Rourke. I didn't care for the way the movie ended. I thought it took a strange left turn at the end. I was disappointed that they gave it a happy ending. It felt like it was building up to a dark ending but then they flipped the script at the last minute. I don't see myself watching this movie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment