Thursday, July 14, 2022

Atlanta 3.10

Tarrare

Candice is in Paris with Shanice and Xosha, two of her friends. She paid for their trip over. Candice pees on men for money, good money. They are having lunch in a café when Candice spots Van. She goes up to her. Van doesn't seem to recognize Candice at first and she is talking with a French accent.

Van takes them home with her. They aren't there very long before Van realizes she has places to go. She takes Candice and her friends along with her. Candice has a baguette sticking out of her little backpack. They ride around on scooters. They stop places and Van does things. They almost get attacked by a gang of men. Van beats up a man in a museum. He was supposed to deliver something, possibly drugs. She beats him with the baguette which is very stale and very hard.

They eventually wind up at a dinner party. Candice has had enough. The whole experience has been too strange for her. She wants to leave but Shanice and Xosha want to stay. Candice follows Van down to the kitchen while the other two women join the other party guests. Van introduces Candice to Marcel, her lover who also works in the kitchen.

Candice tries to talk to Van while she works. She finally gets through to her when she brings up Lottie, Van's daughter. Van breaks down, starts throwing things. Van and Candice leave the party. They sit along the river Seine, near the Eiffel Tower and talk.

After the credits there is a scene where Earn, back in the United States, receives a bag. It isn't his but it has his name on it. There's a picture of a white family in the bag.

Thoughts

I just noticed that I watched this episode, which is set in Paris, by coincidence, on Bastille Day.

This is the second time appearance of Candice. She was also in 2.07 Champagne Papi

Alfred and Darius are not in this episode. Earn is only in the after credits scene although his name does come up while Candice is trying to get through to Van.

There is a horrific element in this episode, which I did not mention above. It is gross. It doesn't play a major role. It isn't really explained. I'm not sure what to make of it.

There are references to Amelie (2001) in this episode. I saw that movie, over 15 years ago. I was not able to pick up on any parallels other than Van's hair.

I don't think I liked this episode as much as some of the others. It isn't bad, it kept my interest but I'm really not sure what to make of it. I think it was a little too one note, for too long, for my taste. It answers some of the questions about what has been going on with Van. It looks good but I don't think it stands on its own very well.

I think I would really be confused right now if I hadn't learned that Season 4 is due to be released in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment