Friday, April 14, 2023

Teen Titans 3.01

Deception

Cyborg uses a holographic generator to disguise himself and infiltrate the Hive Academy. Stone is his new name. He impresses the headmaster, Brother Blood, but in doing so he gets on the bad side of some of the other students (Jinx, Mammoth, Gizmo).

It turns out that Brother Blood knows Stone's true identity. He promises to make Cyborg fully human again if he will continue to work for the Hive. Cyborg accepts Brother Blood's offer.

Robin, Starfire, Rave, and Beast Boy break into Hive Academy after they start to worry about their teammate. They get into a fight with a team from Hive Academy led by Stone/Cyborg. It looks like the Teen Titans have lost their teammate but at the last minute Cyborg sets the record straight and sides with the other Teen Titans. 

Thoughts

It has been more than five years since I watched Season 2 of Teen Titans and about 20 years since this show debuted on Cartoon Network. Despite the over the top cartoonish nature of it I really like this series, even if every episode isn't a homerun. It probably has something to do with my love for the New Teen Titans comic books that were written and drawn by Marv Wolfman and George Perez.

I started my read through of the Wolfman/Perez era of New Teen Titans in Apr 2017. I was up to about issue 20 at the time I finished watching Season 2 of the cartoon. I continued to read the comic book and have just one story (The Terror of Trigon) left before Perez left the series to move on to other projects. All my notes on that era of the comic books can be found at the link above.

Stone is Cyborg's real last name in the comic books but I don't think the characters in this show have secret identities.

There are a number of other students at Hive Academy but the only ones that play a significant role in this episode are Jinx, Mammoth, and Gizmo. I thought I saw Bumblebee and Hawk & Dove among the other students but they are usually heroes and not villains.

Does Jinx have a crush on Cyborg? I got the impression that she might.

This was fun. I expect that there will be more of Brother Blood and Hive in this season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment