Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

starring Shameik Moore, Hailee Steinfeld, Brian Tyree Henry
directed by Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, Justin K. Thompson

140 minutes

Gwen Stacy (Hailee Steinfeld) has still not told her father about her life as Spider-Woman. He thinks that Spider-Woman killed her friend, Peter Parker. She leaves her universe once again and joins an association of Spider heroes. They are led by Miguel O'Hara (aka Spider-Man 2099).

Gwen is given a mission to keep an eye on the Spot, a new villain who live in the same universe as Miles Morales (Shameik Moore), whom she hasn't seen since the events of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). Instead of keeping an eye on the Spot she looks up Miles and spends time with him. It isn't until it is too late that she realizes her mistake.

Miles has problems of his own. A new villain named the Spot wants to kill him. He has not told his parents about his superhero identity. He gets grounded by them but his mother, after meeting Gwen gives him permission to hang out with her.

Miles uses his invisibility superpower to follow Gwen from his universe to another one. There he alters the course of events by saving someone who was destined to die. This gets him in big trouble with Miguel O'Hara who tries unsuccessfully to contain Miles.

Miles learns that the spider that bit him wasn't from his universe. He was not supposed to get superpowers, but he did. He tries to return to his own universe only to wind up in the universe from which the spider that bit him originated. His counterpart there is a villain, his father is dead, and his Uncle Aaron is still alive. 

Gwen, realizes that something is wrong. Miles isn't in his home universe. She gathers a bunch of other Spider heroes to help her try to find him.

Thoughts

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch this again. As much as I enjoyed seeing it on the big screen I also enjoyed being able to watch it in chunks. It made it a lot easier to follow. It also helped that I had seen it before.

I love the music and the animation in this movie. They blend together so well and really help to make the movie what it is. I love the mix of styles. I love the humor.

I really, really like this movie. There are parts of it that I love, parts of it that got me very emotional. I don't love it or like it all. I think the movie is a bit overloaded. I didn't need that many Spider heroes. I'm also not crazy about threats so big that they threaten entire universes.

Who put Miguel O'Hara in charge? That's what I want to know. He certainly seems to have a big chip on his shoulder. He has a story to explain why he is so serious about his "job" but I'm not convinced. 

I wish that they could have toned down this movie a bit. I think it still would have been awesome. "Raising the stakes" doesn't by default make the a movie better. This is a wonderful movie. I may change my opinion about it (one way or the other) once I have seen the sequel, which has yet to be released, but for now it is just solidly good and not great.

See also

No comments:

Post a Comment