Monday, January 22, 2024

Broadchurch 1.01

Episode 1

The body of a young boy, Danny Latimer is found on the beach near the base of some cliffs. Alec Hardy is put in charge of the investigation. He is new to Broadchurch. He is paired with Ellie Miller, a life long resident of Broadchurch.

The police try to keep the identity of the victim under wraps but Oliver Stevens, a local reporter, figures out who the victim is after he sees Danny's sister on the beach near the site where her brother's body was found. Oliver tweets out the victim's identity.

Danny's family is distraught, as are many people in town. Ellie's son Tom was Danny's best friend. Tom starts deleting messages and data from his computer and phone after he learns of Danny's death.

A reporter comes to town from a national newspaper after seeing Oliver's tweet. 

Thoughts

I'm not completely sucked in but I'm curious to see where things go from here. There are already indications that Danny was murdered.

I really like the two lead actors and am familiar with a couple of the other actors. The main characters are not exactly on the best of terms but they have to work together.

They only have Season 1 included with Prime but I figure I can probably get the other seasons from the library if I want to continue beyond the first one.

Notes

David Tennant plays the part of Alex Hardy. Hardy has a past which is only hinted at in this episode. Presumably it will come to the surface in the next episode or two. I know Tennant best from his stint on Doctor Who and the first season of Jessica Jones.

Olivia Colman plays the part of Ellie Miller. Ellie was supposed to get the job that Alec wound up getting. I know Colman best from Fleabag.

Jodie Whitaker plays the part of Beth Latimer, Danny's mother. I saw her recently in Attack the Block (2011) but she is also known for her time on Doctor Who. I have not seen any of the Doctor Who episodes she was in, as of yet.

Johnathan Bailey plays the part of Oliver Stevens. I know him best from Crashing and one episode of Chewing Gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment