Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Paranoia Agent 1.13

Final Episode

Ikari and Tsukiko wander together through his dream world. He is content there until he sees Misae, his wife. It reminds him of the world he has left behind and is trying to forget. He drinks beer and tries to forget her but then Misae shows up in the restaurant where he is drinking. Maromi dispels Misae but she returns. She tells Ikari that she is near death. Ikari decides that he's had enough. He grabs a bat and starts shattering the dream world around him.

Ikari and Tsukiko return to the real world. It is in the process of getting overrun by black ooze. Many people have been killed by the black ooze. Maniwa tries to tell them about Tsukiko's past and Maromi's origins but then the black ooze gets him.

Tsukiko remembers the past. She remembers how the dog she had as a child was killed. She lied to her father but he knew she was lying. Tsukiko finally apologizes to Maromi, the original Maromi.

The black ooze recedes and the world starts to rebuild.

Thoughts

There is some attempt to wrap things up but more in a thematic sense than in narrative sense. The story never returns to many of the characters who played parts in the first half of the series. There are quick glimpses of them but nothing to really explain why them.

That was crazy, all of it, the episode and the whole series. I don't fully understand what I just watched but I'm glad I watched it. At it's center it seems to be about accepting life for what it is, the bad with good and not trying to retreat completely into fantasy.

I could see myself watching this show  again but not in the near term. I don't think that another viewing will make it any clearer to me but I might notice some things that I didn't see before.

No comments:

Post a Comment