Monday, June 8, 2020

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)

starring Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem
directed by Woody Allen

Vicky (Hall) and Cristina (Johansson) spend the summer in Barcelona. They meet Juan Antonio (Bardem), an artist, who is interested in taking both of them to bed. Vicky is engaged and acts uninterested. Cristina is interested but somehow he has sex with Vicky first. Juan Antonio redeemed himself in Vicky's eyes and she fell for him. She feels guilty afterwards and when her fiance proposes that they get married earlier than originally planned she agrees to it.

Cristina moves in with Juan Antonio. Things get tense after Maria Elena (Penelope Cruz), his ex-wife who tried to kill him once, shows up. The three of them wind up in a relationship. It doesn't last. Cristina wakes up one day and realizes that this isn't what she wants.

Thoughts

I've been wanting to see this one for a while. I'm glad I saw it but I didn't enjoy it. It wasn't awful, it was just there. It felt very paint by numbers to me. I really didn't care for the narration. It explained way too much. I did like the scenery and the music but anything involving the Vicky, Cristina, and friends felt forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment