Saturday, November 13, 2021

The Lucy Show 5.13

The Efficiency Expert
first aired 12/12/1966

Oliver Kasten (Phil Silvers) is hired to improve the efficiency of the bank. He terrorizes Mr. Mooney, the bank's branch manager, and gets him demoted. He promotes Lucy. Everything seems to be going smoothly until Lucy and Mr. Kasten visit a toy factory.

Thoughts

This episode is included as an extra with the DVD set of Season 1 of the Phil Silvers Show. I'm not sure if I have ever watched any other episodes of The Lucy Show. If I have then it was a long time ago.

I enjoyed this episode very much. Pliver Kasten is very similar to Sgt. Bilko. This was Phil Silvers only appearance on any of Lucille Ball's TV shows. He also appeared on an episode of Gilligan's Island and in the film version of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum in 1966. I don't know if I ever saw that episode of Gilligan's Island but I know I did see that movie, in 1989 if I remember correctly.

Notes

Lucille Ball was in one episode of the Phil Silvers Show, 4.24 (Bilko's Ape Man). That episode and this one are the only two times, according to my research, that they appeared on camera together.

Gale Gordon plays Mr. Mooney. He worked with Lucille Ball quite a bit. He was in The Lucy Show (1963-68), Here's Lucy (1968-74), and Life with Lucy (1986). He also appeared in a couple episodes of I Love Lucy that aired in 1952 and an episode of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour that aired in 1958. He played Principal Osgood Conklin in both the radio (1948-57) and television (1952-56) versions of Our Miss Brooks and he was the second actor to play the part of Mr. Wilson on the Dennis the Menace television show from 1962-1963.

No comments:

Post a Comment