Sunday, November 24, 2019

Dolemite (1975)

starring Rudy Ray Moore, D'Urville Martin
directed by D'Urville Martin

Dolemite (Moore) is a pimp who is let out of prison on the condition that he take down one of his rivals, Willie Green (Martin). He makes the deal with the warden but then is pursued by crooked cops. Green isn't just a pimp but he also pays bribes to the mayor and is the one who got Dolemite arrested. Willie Green comes after Dolemite, who gets some help from a bunch of female dancers who are also martial arts experts and an FBI agent.

Thoughts

I've been aware of this movie for years but this was my first time watching it. I thought it was cheesy and a bit sloppy. I was finally moved to watch it after listening to a recent episode of Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast where he and his co-hose Frank Santopadre talk to the guys who wrote Eddie Murphy's recent film, Dolemite Is My Name.

It doesn't feel like there is much depth to this story. It isn't very polished. It feels very slapped together. It is very much a movie of its time.

I watched it primarily because I have an interest in watching the movie that it inspired, Dolemite Is My Name (2019), which stars Eddie Murphy.

Link: Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast - Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski

No comments:

Post a Comment