Friday, November 29, 2019

The Amazing Jonathan Documentary (2019)

directed by Benjamin Berman

This purports to be a documentary about the Amazing Jonathan. He is a stage magician and comedian. He quit show business in 2014 after announcing that he had been told by doctors that he only had a year to live. It turns out that the doctors were wrong and he is still alive. A team of filmmakers started to work on a documentary about him in 2017. The first part of this movie is that documentary.

Everything seems to be going smoothly enough until Benjamin Berman, the director of the documentary, discovers that there is another team who are also working on a documentary about the Amazing Jonathan. The other team have won awards for some of their previous documentaries. It makes things a bit awkward for Berman but he tries to keep things moving. It gets even crazier. It turns out there was another person who was working on a documentary about the Amazing Jonathan before the crew on this film started working and that there is a fourth person working on his own documentary about the Amazing Jonathan.

The Amazing Jonathan is still alive today. Was his claim that he was terminally ill a hoax? The movie pokes at this question but doesn't answer it definitively.

Berman becomes the subject of the movie in the second half. He starts to wonder what is going on. It gets very surreal. I really wasn't sure what to make of the ending. I don't love this movie. I'm not sure I would recommend it. It feels a little too clever. I'm honestly not sure what to believe in the end about this movie. If I had enjoyed the ride a little more then I might of felt like it was worth my time but as is I felt as if it wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment