Monday, November 28, 2022

Big Night (1996)

Big Night (1996)

starring Stanley Tucci, Tony Shaloub
directed by Campbell Scott, Stanley Tucci

109 minutes

Secondo (Stanley Tucci) and his brother Primo (Tony Shaloub), immigrants from Italy, run a restaurant together. Primo is the chef and Segundo takes care of the business end of the restaurant. They put everything they have into one big meal for a celebrity just as the bank is getting ready to foreclose on them.

Thoughts

Stanley Tucci is also credited as co-writer.

Minnie Driver, Ian Holm, and Isabella Rossellini play three of the supporting members of the cast. Secondo is romantically involved with two of them. The other one plays the owner of another Italian restaurant that it much more successful than Primo and Secondo's. Alison Janney is also in this movie. She plays Primo's love interest and the owner of the local flower shop.

I saw this movie when it first came out in the theater. I liked it then but I felt like I had been misled. It wasn't the rousing success I hoped it would be. The ending is a bit of a downer. Things don't turn out as Primo and Secondo hoped they would.

This movie has its moments but I still feel as though it isn't quite enough for me. It isn't bad. I like the performances by the two lead actors and the supporting cast. My biggest problem is probably the way it ends. I didn't need it to wrap everything up with a bow but I think I would have preferred if it had been a little more cinematic and a little less abrupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment