Saturday, November 5, 2022

You Can't Take It With You (1938)

You Can't Take It With You (1938)

starring Jean Arthur, Jimmy Stewart, Lionel Barrymore, Edward Arnold
directed by Frank Capra

Alice Sycamore (Jean Arthur) and Tony Kirby (Jimmy Stewart) are in love. His parents are rich, hers are not although they are not dirt poor either. The Sycamores are much more care free that the Kirbys. Complicating things is the fact that Tony's father, Anthony Kirby (Edward Arnold), wants to buy the house where Alice lives. The house belongs to Martin Vanderhof (Lionel Barrymore), Alice's grandfather.

Things start to unravel when Tony brings his parents over to meet Alice's family a day earlier than they had arranged. Kirby and Vanderhof get to speak and spend some time together, first in a jail cell and then in court, after they are arrested for distrubing the peace, along with the rest of Vanderhof's family.

The movie ends with Anthony Kirby deciding to change just as it looks like Alice and Tony will never get back together again.

Thoughts

This is a fun movie to watch. It took a little while for me to get a feel for what it was about. I enjoyed the humorous moments but I wouldn't say it is a great movie.

Notes

Lionel Barrymore played the part of Martin Vanderhof. I associate him most with another film directed by Frank Capra: It's a Wonderful Life (1946). I've also seen him in On Borrowed Time (1939) and Key Largo (1946). His most consistent work was playing Dr. Leonard Gillespie in 13 different movies from 1939 to 1947.

Edward Arnold played the part of Anthony Kirby. He is another actor whom I associate with Frank Capra films, most notably Meet John Doe (1941) and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939). I'm not sure if there is anything else I have seen him in other than the three Capra films.

Jean Arthur played the part of Alice Sycamore. She is yet another actor whom I associate with Frank Capra films, the other ones being Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1941). I think that may be the extent of her movies that I have seen.

Jimmy Stewart plays the part of Tony Kirby. This is probably the earliest of his films that I have seen. I have also seen him in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Destry Rides Again, The Philadelphia Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Harvey, The Greatest Show on Earth, Rear Window, Vertigo, Anatomy of a Murder, and How the West Was Won.

Mischa Auer plays the part of Kolenkhov. He was also in My Man Godfrey (1936), which I saw earlier this year for the first time. He was also in Destry Rides Again, which I saw years ago.

Ann Miller plays the part of Essie, Alice's sister. I think the only other movies that she has been in that I have seen are Room Service (1938) and Mulholland Drive (2001).

Spring Byington played the part of Penny, Alice's mother. I'm not familiar with her name or face but she was in Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) and Meet John Doe (1941), both of which I have seen.

Donald Meek plays the part of Poppins, a minor character. He was also in Stagecoach (1939), which I watched earlier this year, and My Little Chickadee, which I last saw probably more than 25 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment