Thursday, July 6, 2023

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006)

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006)

starring Uma Thurman, Luke Wilson, Anna Faris, Rainn Wilson, Eddie Izzard
directed by Ivan Reitman

96 minutes

Matt Saunders (Luke Wilson) impresses Jenny Johnson (Uma Thurman) when he chases down a guy who snatched her purse on the subway. They go out on a date. Their relationship seems to be developing nicely until Professor Bedlam (Eddie Izzard), an old friend of Jenny's, shows up.

Matt decides he doesn't want to be with Jenny anymore, after he finds out that she is the superhero known as G-Girl. She doesn't take his rejection very well. Matt jumps straight into the arms of Hannah Lewis (Anna Faris), one of his coworkers, which really irks Jenny.

Matt goes to see Professor Bedlam who claims to know how to rob Jenny of her superpowers, permanently. He works with Professor Saunders to make it happen but things don't work out exactly as they had planned.

Thoughts

The writer of this movie, Don Payne, is also credited as one of the writers of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2008), Thor (2011), and Thor: The Dark World (2013). He died in 2013 at the age of 48. 

There's probably a good movie in here somewhere but this is not it. I laughed a few times but I think I sighed disappointedly at least as much if not more than I laughed. The story isn't overly complicated, there aren't too many characters in it but I'm not wild about how it all plays out. No one in this movie seems very realistic or likeable. I understand that the plot may be far out but it would be nice if the characters at least seemed like real people.

I had a feeling that I wasn't going to think this was a great movie but I wanted to see it anyway. I wanted to know first hand why it wasn't worth my time. I stuck with it until the very end but I don't see myself watching it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment