Sunday, July 9, 2023

Black Dynamite (2009)

Black Dynamite (2009)

starring Michael Jai White
directed by Scott Sanders

84 minutes

Black Dynamite discovers a trail of drugs and evil deeds when he goes looking for the killer of his little brother. He ultimately discovers a conspiracy that leads him to the White House.

Thoughts

I have not seen many blaxploitation films. Based on what I have read and the one blaxploitation film I have seen in the past few years, Dolemite (1975), this is clearly inspired by the genre.

There are a number of familiar faces in this movie: Tommy Davidson, Arsenio Hall, Obba Babatunde, Phil Morris, Mike Starr, Bokeem Woodbine, Nicole Sullivan, Tucker Smallwood. Many of them don't have big roles but I recognized all of them including a few who were hidden behind some crazy costumes.

I don't know how to summarize this film better without just recounting everything that happens. This was a wild ride with a lot of laughs. Every time it seemed like the story couldn't get any crazier it did. I thought this movie worked quite well despite the insane transitions from scene to scene. I don't think it will appeal or speak to everyone but I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment