Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (1990)


Preston Sturges: The Rise and Fall of an American Dreamer (1990)

directed by Kenneth Bowser

76 minutes

This is a documentary about the life and career of Preston Sturges, writer and director of Sullivan's Travels (1941) and The Lady Eve (1941). It originally aired on PBS and is included with the Criterion Collection version of Sullivan's Travels. There are extended clips of a number of the movies he wrote and/or directed. There is very little of Sturges himself in the documentary, other than in stills, but there are interviews with a number of friends, family, and people who worked with him.

I found this to be interesting. It makes me want to see more of the movies he wrote and directed that I have not seen yet. I believe that I have only seen three of his movies, the two I mentioned above and Unfaithfully Yours (1948).

No comments:

Post a Comment