Friday, October 2, 2026

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

starring Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd
written by Peter Seaman, Jeffery Price
directed by Robert Zemeckis

104 minutes

Private investigator Eddie Valiant finds himself helping Roger Rabbit, despite his animosity for cartoon characters, after Roger becomes the prime suspect in the murder of Marvin Acme, who was last seen alive playing paddy cake with Roger's wife, lounge singer Jessica Rabbit.

Thoughts

I don't recall when it was that I watched this movie before. It was probably during the 1990s. I did not see it in the theater when it was first released or in the intervening years.

The special effects aren't up to today's standards. The story is okay. The characters are fairly two dimensional. I laughed a few times but I think most of the humor was aimed at a younger audience. There are a few too many gags that do little to nothing to advance the story or flesh out the characters.

I wish I liked this movie more than I do. It is a little overstuffed with things that crowd out the story at the center of it all.

Notes

I've seen Bob Hoskins in several films but none recently. I've seen Christopher Lloyd in more than a dozen films, including Back to the Future (1985) and The Addams Family (1991). Kathleen Turner (Jessica Rabbit) and Mel Blanc (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck) are two of the many actors who voiced the parts of toons. This is one of at least a half dozen films I have seen that were directed by Roger Zemeckis.

No comments:

Post a Comment