Monday, May 25, 2020

House of Games (1987)

starring Joe Mantegna, Lindsay Crouse
directed by David Mamet

Margaret Ford (Crouse) is a psychologist. One of her patients owes several thousand dollars to a bookie (Mantegna). She goes to see the bookie to try and talk him out of hurting her client. She gets mixed up with the bookie and it quickly becomes unclear whether she is helping him con someone or getting conned herself.

Thoughts

I've enjoyed some of David Mamet's films. I had never seen this one before. There are aspects of it that I like. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had seen it 20 to 30 years ago.

I wasn't terribly impressed with either of the leads performances in this movie. It felt like they were reading words off a page and lacked any substance to back up the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment