Friday, October 23, 2020

Sorry to Bother You (2018)


starring LaKeith Stanfield, Tessa Thompson
directed by Boots Riley

Cassius Green (Stanfield) discovers he is a better than average telemarketer. He gets a promotion just as his coworkers are launching a strike and attempting to start a union. He takes the promotion and discovers that the company is considerably more sinister than he imagined. Detroit (Thompson), his girlfriend, is very disappointed and dumps him when he refuses to join his coworkers and strike.

Thoughts

This is a weird and wild ride. I'm not even going to try and describe the movie. The few sentences I wrote above give the gist of the story. The movie had a weird feeling to begin with but it takes really weird turn when Cassius goes to a party thrown by Steve Lift, the owner of the company.

I really liked some of the visuals. The White voices were strange. They help to keep things from seeming normal, which is ironic because they were supposed to put people who answered the calls at ease. Actually there was a lot in this movie that kept it from seeming normal. I loved Detroit's earrings. They were huge and changed from scene to scene. I wonder if they were painful to wear?

There were a number of familiar faces, starting with Stanfield (whom I know from Atlanta) and Thompson (whom I know from Creed and Thor: Ragnarok). Danny Glover has a small but important part. This may be the first movie I have seen with him in quite some time. The movie has something to say about capitalism. There is definitely food for thought in this one.

I'm not sure that I would recommend this movie to everyone but I felt like it was worth my time. I watched it on Hulu so I didn't have to pay anything extra to see it. I was drawn into it fairly quickly. I didn't have the urge to turn away or stop watching. I wanted to see where it was going to go. The ending wasn't fully satisfying for me but I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment