Monday, February 1, 2021

Flash Gordon (1980)

starring Sam J. Jones, Melody Anderson, Max von Sydow, Topol, Ornella Muti, Timothy Dalton, Brian Blessed

directed by Mike Hodges

Flash Gordon (Sam J. Jones) and Dale Arden (Melody Anderson) meet Dr. Hans Zarkov (Topol) when their plane crashes during a freak storm. He tricks them onto his rocket ship and they travel together to the source of the strange weather, the planet Mongo. There they meet Ming the Merciless (Max von Sydow), the villainous ruler of the planet. He is intent on destroying Earth.

Ming has Flash put to death, Dr. Zarkov brainwashed, and decides to make Dale his next wife. Flash is revived by Princess Aura (Ornella Muti), Ming's daughter, who takes him to Prince Barin (Timothy Dalton), her lover and the ruler of Arborea.

Flash, Dale, and Dr. Zarkov are eventually reunited. Together with help from Prince Barin, Prince Vultan (Brian Blessed) of the Hawkmen, and Princess Aura they fight back against Ming.

Thoughts

I saw this when it first came out in the theater. I recall enjoying it then. I was 10 years old at the time. My father took myself and my brother's who is two years younger than me to see it.

I enjoyed watching it again but it is very campy. There were bits that I remembered but I had forgotten quite a bit of it. I also enjoyed watching the Filmation Flash Gordon cartoon back in the early 1980s.

No comments:

Post a Comment