Sunday, March 28, 2021

Invincible 1.01

It's About Time

The episode opens with the Guardians of the Globe, a team of superheroes converging on the White House to prevent the Maulers from assassinating the President of the United States. The team of heroes are joined by Omni-Man another superhero. Together they prevent the Maulers from achieving their goal.

Mark Grayson has known for years that one day he would get superpowers. His father is an alien and a superhero, Omni-Man. The day finally comes when he is in high school. His father trains him and helps him to get a costume. His mother is human and knew this day was coming. She is less than thrilled now that he has more in common with his father.

Mark experiences some growing pains. He figures out the flying part but he isn't so great with the landing part. He finally figures it out, with some help with his father. 

The episode ends with the Guardians of the Globe gathering at their base. They are attacked by Omni-Man who savagely murders them all.

Thoughts

It looks like the first season of Invincible is going to be 8 episodes long. The first three dropped two days ago on Amazon Prime. They will be releasing the remaining episodes on a weekly basis over the next 5 weeks.

The Invincible comic book debuted in 2003. I read a good chunk of it more than 10 years ago. The comic book ended after almost 150 issues. I stopped reading after about 40-50 issues. I don't recall exactly why but I think it had something to do with not being able to see the bigger picture.

This story is lifted more or less directly from the comic books. It will be interesting to see if this cartoon can keep my interest unlike the comic book. The ending to this episode might have carried a little more punch, for me, if I didn't know it was coming.

I like the casting of J.K. Simmons as the voice of Omni-Man. Excellent choice.

I like what I see here but I think that as with the comic book I am going to need more than surface level plot to keep me watching in the long run. I'm not certain that I will get that but maybe they will prove me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment