Saturday, August 28, 2021

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 1.01

Pilot

Midge gets married to Joel Maisel. They have 2 kids in 4 years. He has a steady job but he wants to be a comedian. She does what she can to support him. She bribes the manager the club where he performs to get him a better time slot. She thinks he's funny. She learns he's been doing another comic's act. Things come apart for Midge and Joel. He loses confidence and bombs. He reveals he's been having an affair with his secretary. He packs his stuff and leaves.

Midge doesn't know what to do. They are having a big group over for Yom Kippur the next day, including the rabbi who has refused to have anything to do with them since Midge offended him at their wedding. She gets drunk and goes back to the club. She gets on stage, still drunk. The small crowd loves her. She gets arrested for pulling down her top just as a couple cops walk in.

Midge gets bailed out of jail by Susie, the bartender, who saw something in her act. Susie talks Midge into thinking about giving comedy a try.

Thoughts

Gilbert Gottfried has a small part in one scene in this episode. It is his only appearance in the three seasons that have been released to date. 

This is the pilot. I understand that this isn't a typical episode in many ways. It has to set the scene and lay the groundwork for the rest of the season, which is just 7 more episodes. The next couple episodes will probably give me a better idea of what this show is and whether I will like it enough to stick with it until the end of this season.

I didn't laugh at the on stage humor very much. I thought the funniest moments happened away from the stage. Seeing other people laughing tends to make me roll my eyes.

This isn't a homerun in my books. It doesn't speak directly to me. I like aspects of it. I hope to find more that I like about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment