Sunday, January 16, 2022

Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

starring Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, Garrett Hedlund, Justin Timberlake
written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen

Llewyn Davis goes on a journey in 1961 that takes him around New York City and to Chicago and then back to New York City. He takes care of a cat (which belongs to friends of his), loses the cat, finds it, only to discover that it is the wrong cat. He scrapes by. Things frequently don't go his way. Llewyn is a folk singer. He is trying to make a living singing songs. It isn't easy.

Thoughts

I had at least two reasons to watch this movie. I had never seen it before. It is a Coen Brothers movie and I usually like their films. I noticed that I don't have any notes posted of movies from 2013. That last one is a silly reason but that's how my brain works sometimes.

I started to watch this movie thinking I would see how it struck me and then turn it off after 15 minutes. I wasn't pulled into it right away but it grew on me. It doesn't all make sense but it has a flow to it that I like.

I like some folk music but its not like its my thing. I like this movie. It isn't crazy or over the top or what I would call a feel good movie. I'm not sure how true to life or realistic it is. I don't have any connections to the music business and I don't know anything about the music business of the early 1960s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment