Thursday, August 8, 2024

Batman: Caped Crusader 1.02

...and Be a Villain

Actress Yvonne Frances goes missing. Detective Renee Montoya is in charge of ihe investigation. She doesn't know it but Batman plants a bug on her jacket which allows him to hear everything that she says or hears.

Montoya's initial suspect. actor Basil Karlo, turns up dead. The dead man turns out to be someone other than Karlo. Frances is still missing when a hideously disfigured man kills the head of the film studio. Batman shows up in time to clash with the mystery man but the villain gets away. Montoya tracks down the disfigured man and unknowingly leads Batman right to him.

The episode ends with Montoya finding the bug and telling Batman that she isn't through with him.

Thoughts

Greg Rucka wrote this story. He wrote or (co-wrote with Ed Brubaker) a good chunk of Gotham Central. He also wrote Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood. Both Gothan Central and Cry for Blood were excellent reads.

My guess is that Montoya will be back before the end of the season but probably not in the next episode.

My recollection from the comic books is that Basil Karlo, the original Clayface, was a murderous actor but didn't have superpowers. The only story I've read that he showed up in was The Mud Pack (Detective Comics 604-607). 

I enjoyed this episode considerably more than the previous one. I should probably watch it again because I think I missed a few of the twists in the story, for instance I don't recall exactly what happened to Karlo in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment