Saturday, May 29, 2021

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone
directed by Michael Curtiz, William Keighley

England, 1191. King Richard I is prisoner in a foreign land. Robin Hood (Flynn), the Earl of Locksley, earns the ire of Prince John (Claude Rains) by leading a rebellion against his rule as regent. Sir Guy of Gisbourne (Rathbone) is tasked by Prince John with capturing and killing the leader of the outlaws. Maid Marian (de Havilland) falls in love with Robin. She helps him in the fight against Prince John which almost leads to her execution.

Thoughts

I've seen this before but it has been a long time since I last saw it. There was a lot that I had forgotten. I did remember a few scenes. I was surprised that the archery contest didn't happen until a little past the halfway point in the movie. I enjoyed watching it again but I don't think I like it as much now as I once did.

There were no special features or documentaries included with the copy I own of this movie. A few months ago I read Errol, Olivia, and the Merry Men of Sherwood: The Making of the Adventures of Robin Hood by Rupert Alistair. It wasn't terribly long but I enjoyed reading it. It provided insights into a number of aspects of the creation of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment