Saturday, May 15, 2021

Two Distant Strangers (2020)

starring Joey Bada$$, Andrew Howard, Zaria
directed by Travon Free

32 minutes

Carter, a twenty something Black man, keeps reliving the same moment in time. Each time he winds up dead at the hands of the same White police officer. Carter wakes up with the memory of the previous encounters but the police officer doesn't seem to remember a thing. Carter tries a number of different tactics. He isn't killed the same way every time but he always winds up dead.

Thoughts

This short movie feels very much like an episode of the Twilight Zone. There are moments that work for me and ones that don't. Overall I was moved by this movie, especially the ending. I think this is the right length for this movie. I'm not sure it would have been any better if the characters had been fleshed out any more than they were. I'm not sure what else I can say write about the movie, beyond what I have already written, without spoiling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment