Monday, May 3, 2021

Doctor Who (1963) 14.01.01

The Masque of Mandragora - Part 1

The TARDIS gets sucked into the Mandragora Helix. The Doctor lands the TARDIS. The Doctor and Sarah investigate but quickly leave when they are threatened by a sentient bit of energy. They make their way back to Earth and land in 15th century Italy.

The Duke of San Martino has just died. Giuliano, the Duke's son, suspects foul play but he has no proof. Count Federico, Giuliano's uncle, covets the dukedom but he bides his time and conspires with Hieronymous, a seer, to do away with his nephew.

Sarah gets abducted by men in dark robes. The Doctor is apprehended by Count Federico's men. Both are sentenced to death.

Thoughts

The special effects are laughably bad but I guess they are par for the course for the BBC in the mid 1970s.

The part of the story dealing with Giuliano and Federico looks like it is taken from Hamlet. I've seen this one before, sometime in the 1980s, but I don't remember exactly how it turns out. I remember liking it but sometimes I'm not crazy about tv shows that I once loved. Hopefully the extras, when I get to them, make this DVD worth the time I'm going to invest in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment