Friday, July 2, 2021

Burn After Reading (2008)

starring Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand, George Clooney, John Malkovich, Tilda Swinton, Richard Jenkins
directed by Joel & Ethan Coen

Osbourne Cox (Malkovich) quits his job at the CIA. He tells Katie (Swinton), his wife, that he's going to write his memoirs. She's in the midst of an affair with Harry Pfarrer (Clooney) and ready to divorce Osbourne. Harry is in a similar position with his wife.

Linda Litzke (McDormand) is desperate to get some cosmetic surgery. The medical insurance she has from her job at Hardbodies, a gym, won't cover the cost of the surgery. She hatches a plan with Chad (Pitt), her coworker, after one of the other employees of the gym finds a disc in the ladies locker room with what looks like top secret stuff on it.

Linda and Chad try to blackmail Osbourne. Katie and Harry continue their affair. Harry also starts an affair with Linda whom he meets through an online dating site. The CIA becomes aware of part of what is going on. Linda and Chad try to sell the information to the Russians. Everything comes apart towards the end.

Thoughts

This was my first time seeing this movie. I've enjoyed most of the Coen Brothers movies that I've seen. I don't think this was my favorite but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love the performances in this movie and how the characters interact. There is one moment that left me confused. There are a fair number of things that happen off camera. I can see how some people might not be satisfied with this movie but I think that the same can be said about a number of their movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment