Friday, September 18, 2026

Repo Man (1984)

Repo Man (1984)

starring Emilio Estevex
written and directed by Alex Cox

92 minutes

Otto (Emilio Estevez) loses his job working as a supermarket but before long he becomes a repo man. He repossesses cars and gets mixed up with Leila, a girl who herself is mixed up with a cult or super secret organization.

Thoughts

This was my first time watching this movie. I can see how this might be a cult favorite. I watched it on a DVD that I borrowed from the library. It might be worth seeing again on the big screen.

This movie made me think of Heavy Metal (1981) at times.

Sometimes the ending to a movie pulls the disparate threads of the story. I didn't feel as though that was the case here. It just ended.

This movie defies description as far as I am concerned. I could describe in scene by scene but I'm not sure if all those descriptions would add up to a cphesive story. I like the music. It's weird. I'm not sure if the movie as a whole makes any sense at all. I am certain that there are people out there who would disagree with me on this point. I might change my mind if I watched it again.

Notes

This is the tenth movie I have seen in which Emilio Estevez appeared. There are a number of other actors in this movie that I have seen in other movies including Harry Dean Stanton, Tracey Walter, Vonetta McGee, Sy Richardson, Susan Barnes, Eddie Velez, Tom Finnegan, and Del Zamora. Harry Dean Stanton, Tracey Walter, and Vonetta McGee are the only ones that I was certain I had seen before. until after I did a little research into the cast.

This is the only movie I have seen that Alex Cox directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment