Friday, September 11, 2026

Some Like It Hot (1959)

Some Like It Hot (1959)

starring Marilyn Monrow, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon
written by Billy Wilder, I.A.L. Diamond
produced and directed by Billy Wilder

Saxophonist Joe (Tony Curtis) and bass player Jerry (Jack Lemmon) dress up in drag, in the late 1920s, and join Sweet Sue and Her Society Syncopators. On the run from the mob as Josephine and Daphne, they travel with the musical group from Chicago to Miami. Joe falls in love with Sugar (Marilyn Monroe), a members of the band, while Jerry is wooed by Osgood Fielding III who is looking for wife number nine. 

Thoughts

This was not my first time watching this movie but I don't think I had seen it since the 1980s. I had forgotten quite a bit of it but I still remembered the key parts of the story.

I enjoyed this movie. It brought a smile to my face on numerous occasions but I hesitate to give it high marks because it didn't make me laugh out loud. It's amusing. It's good but it isn't great.

Notes

I've seen Marilyn Monroe in a few other films in recent years. Most recently I saw her in The Asphalt Jungle (1950). I've seen Tony Curtis in a few other movies but none in recent years. I've seen Jack Lemmon in more than a handful of movies. The most recent movie that I've seen him in was It Should Happen to You (1954). There are a few other actors in smaller parts that I've seen in other movies or in TV shows including George Raft, Nehemiah Persoff, and Mike Mazurki.

I.A.L. Diamond also worked on the scripts for Monkey Business (1952), Kiss Me, Stupid (1964), and The Front Page (1974).

I've seen at least nine movies that Billy Wilder directed. Earlier this year I watched Double Indemnity (1944).

No comments:

Post a Comment