Thursday, September 3, 2026

The Twilight Zone (1959) 1.26

Execution

starring Albert Salmi, Russell Johnson, Than Wyenn
written by Rod Serling, George Clayton Johnson
directed by David Orrick McDearmon

Joe Caswell (Albert Salmi) is in the process of being hung in 1880 when he escapes execution thanks to the time machine operated by Professor Manion (Russell Johnson) in 1960. Caswell is very disoriented by the world in which he finds himself. He kills Manion and leaves the laboratory. He doesn't fare much better in the world outside the laboratory.

Caswell returns to Manion's laboratory only to find Paul Johnson (Than Wyenn) robbing the place. Caswell and Johnson get into a fight. Johnson kills Caswell and then accidentally transports himself to 1880. The noose which almost killed Caswell kills Johnson in his place.

Thoughts

I wish I liked this episode more than I do. Maybe if there was more to the main characters, mainly Caswell and Johnson, then I might have liked it more. My biggest problem with it is that Caswell spends most of the time ranting and raving, I like the premise behind this episode but the way it was executed left me unsatisfied.

Notes

This is the first of three episodes of this show in which Albert Salmi appeared. He also appeared in episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955).

This is the first of two episode of this show in which Russell Johnson appeared. I saw him very recently in an episode of The Outer Limits (1963) 1.22 Specimen: Unknown.

This is the only episode of this show in which Than Wyenn appeared. He also appeared in episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Kraft Suspense Theatre. He had a small uncredited part in Black Tuesday (1954).

The teleplay for this episode was written by Rod Serling, based on a short story written by George Clayton Johnson. This is the second of seven episodes that was written by Johnson or based on a story he wrote. The first episode he had a hand in writing was 1.13 The Four of Us Are Dying.

This is the first of three episodes that was directed by David Orrick McFearmon. He was also an actor and appeared in one episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1955).

No comments:

Post a Comment