Vanessa in the Garden
starring Harvey Keitel, Sondra Locke, Beau Bridges
written by Steven Spielberg
directed by Clint Eastwood
Hours after Byron Sullivan (Harvey Keitel) learns that Teddy (Beau Bridges), his friend and agent, has arranged for a gallery show for his artwork he is involved in a deadly vehicle accident. Byron survives but Vanessa (Sondra Locke), his wife, is killed. Byron is despondent in the wake of her death. Byron destroys most of his paintings in a drunken rage.
The next day he discovers that his most recent painting, Vanessa in the Garden, survived his inebriated efforts to destroy anything that reminded him of Vanessa. Not only that but she still lives through the painting. He soon discovers that by creating new paintings of them together he (and only he) is able to see her again.
This was a very well made episode. It has a very different feel to it than most, probably all of the other episodes to date. I'm not sure that I love it but it kept my attention and I was moved by it.
Notes
This is the only episode of this show in which the three lead actors appeared. I have seen more than a dozen movies in which Harvey Keitel appeared but none recently. Beau Bridges appeared in one episode of Tales from the Crypt. I have seen a couple movies in which he appeared but none recently. I've seen a couple movies in which Sondra Locke appeared but none recently.
This is the only episode of this show that Clint Eastwood directed. I have seen several movies that he directed but none recently.

No comments:
Post a Comment