Sunday, August 16, 2026

High Anxiety (1977)

High Anxiety (1977)

starring Mel Brooks, Madeline Kahn, Cloris Leachman
directed by Mel Brooks

94 minutes

Doctor Richard Thorndyke (Mel Brooks) takes over the Psycho-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous. His predecessor died suddenly. Thorndyke is misled by his employees, including Nurse Diesel (Cloris Leachman), to believe that many of the patients are in worse shape that they actually are.

Thorndyke meets the Victoria Brisbane (Madeline Kahn), daughter of one of Institute's the patients, while he is in San Francisco for a psychiatric convention. He previously met het father, who thinks he is a cocker-spaniel but Thorndyke later finds out that the patient he met was not Victoria's father. 

Thorndyke returns to the Institute determined to set things right.

Thoughts

I saw this movie once before, probably during the 1980s but I'm not sure exactly when it was that I saw it.

I laughed quite a few times during this movie. It has a semi-serious plot but what made it so enjoyable is the mix of the story with the humor.

Notes

I have seen nine of the eleven films that Mel Brooks directed. He appeared in all nine films. I have seen at least six films in which Madeline Kahn appeared. I have seen at least four films in which Cloris Leachman appeared. I have seen at least four movies in which Harvey Korman appeared. All four of the lead actors in this movie also appeared in History of the Worls, Part I (1981).

No comments:

Post a Comment