Sunday, August 30, 2026

CHiPs 4.16

Karate

Ponch helps out at the Oak Street Youth Center by teaching karate. He and John try to catch the crooks behind the theft of several motorcycles. Ponch leans on Rivas Sanchez, a teenager from his neighborhood, for information. Rivas is caught between Ponch and Andy Macedon, the man bankrolling the motorcycle thefts. Macedon is from the same neighborhood as Ponch and Rivas. He went to school with Ponch and used to push Ponch around.

Macedon, also an expert at karate, challenges Ponch to a fight at the youth center, in front of a bunch of teens. Ponch turns down the invitation but later stands up to Macedon and takes him down in a fight in front of a crowd but not at the youth center.

Thoughts

I remember watching this episode when it first aired in 1981. I probably haven't seen it since then. I didn't remember very much about it.

John doesn't do very much in this episode except stand around. There is one moment where he creepily smiles as he watches a teenage girl at the youth center while she practices gymnastics. Ponch and John are out of uniform for most of this episode. 

This isn't a very good episode. I don't really recall if there were any really good episodes of this show or even how much I watched it. There are a few too many guest stars but I'm not sure why. 

Notes

Lewis Van Bergen played the part of Andy Macedon. He reprised the role in an episode the following season.

Danny Bonaduce played the part of Billy Rogers, one of the members of the gang that stole the motorcycles. He reprised the role in one episode the following season. This is the second of four episodes in which he appeared.

Michael Dorn played the part of Officer Turner, a recurring character who appeared in 60 episodes of this show. He gets a few lines in this episode but his total screen time probably doesn't last more than 60 seconds. He is best known to me for playing the part of Worf in a couple different Star Trek shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment