Friday, August 7, 2026

Shadows and Fog (1991)

starring Woody Allen, Mia Farrow
written and directed by Woody Allen

85 minutes

A killer stalks the streets of the city. Vigilante gangs search for him. Kleinman (Woody Allen), a humble nobody, is recruited by one of the vigilante gangs. He goes out unaware of what his role is in their scheme.

Kleinman meets a Irmy (Mia Farrow) a sword swallower with the circus, which is getting ready to leave town. She has left her boyfriend the clown after catching him with a tightrope walker.

Kleinman is suspected of being the killer at one point. The vigilante gangs chase him through the streets. He runs. He hides. He winds up at the circus, as does the killer, and a lot of other people.

Thoughts

There are a lot of familiar faces in this movie. many of them only get a scene or two. John Malkovich, John Cusack, Madonna, Kathy Bates, Jodie Foster, Lily Tomlin, Donald Pleasance, Julie Kavner, Fred Gwynne, Wallace Shawn, Kurtwood Smith, David Ogden Stiers, William H. Macy, Fred Melamed, and Victor Argo are among the actors I recognized.

This movie is in black and white. It takes place at night. The city where it takes place is very foggy. 

This wasn't terribly deep although every now and then it seemed like it was on the verge of getting there.

I laughed many times but there were also a few moments that made me roll my eyes, where it felt like actors were just reading lines. I wouldn't call this a great film but I didn't hate it. I could see myself watching it again but it isn't the sort of film that I would seek out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment